Treat Island Open House - Eastport Departure
Rain date: September 16Click Here to Register
Pack up the family or bring a friend, and join us for a day exploring Treat Island Preserve. Acquired by MCHT in 2009, Treat Island lies at the edge of easternmost Maine at the confluence of Cobscook and Passamaquoddy bays, a region known for its extreme tidal range, strong currents, and abundant wildlife.
Treat Island has been a favorite destination for generations in the local community based on its exquisite beauty and close access from the mainland. Pack a picnic lunch and bring plenty of snacks! Take a hike or spread a blanket on one of Treat's little pocket beaches and enjoy the magic of a September afternoon in Cobscook Bay.
Treat Island offers stunning views across the bay to Campobello Island and Canada, and you’ll find beautiful rolling meadows, spruce forest, and eight gravel beaches.
There will be plenty of time to explore the trails, beaches, and all the island has to offer. Look for ancient traces of use by Native Americans, cellar holes dating from the middle of the 19th century, and the ruins of a Civil War battery. Local legend includes stories of smuggling and privateering. Control of this region was contested by the British and the US for over a century and Treat Island was often at the center of it all!
MCHT Washington County staffers Deirdre Whitehead, Melissa Lee, and Jacob van de Sande will join us and and be available to share their extensive knowledge of conservation efforts in the Cobscook Bay region. Steward Deirdre Whitehead will lead an optional history walk on the island and share her knowledge of the fascinating history of Treat Island.
To register: Sign up for a family ticket (4-person limit) or a single ticket. This trip departs from, and returns to, Eastport.
Please plan to arrive at your departure point at least 15 minutes early to check in. We have a lot of people to get on and off the island! We will not be able to hold the boat for late arrivals.
What to bring:
Come prepared for the elements – weather, insects, uneven terrain, and time away from indoor plumbing – there are no bathroom facilities on the island. Wear footwear that is suitable for walking on beaches, rocks, and forest paths. Wear or bring footwear that can get wet getting out of the boat at the island. We recommend:
- Appropriate clothing, hat, and extra layers (i.e. windbreaker, rain jacket, fleece)
- Good walking shoes for hiking and exploring; a pair of shoes or boots that can get wet
- Lunch, snacks, and plenty of water
- Bring your own life jacket if you have one (particularly for children). We will provide them if you don’t have one. Please let us know the age/size of your children if they are under 12.
- Towel and/or picnic blanket
- Sunglasses and a hat
- Insect repellent
Cancellation policy and weather:
The rain date for this trip is Sunday, September 16.
- If we have to cancel due to foul weather predicted for Sept. 15, we will notify you by email 24 hours in advance and the event will be rescheduled to Sunday, Sept. 16 at the same time. Your reservation will automatically be transferred to Sunday unless you contact us prior to the trip for a refund.
- In the event of the rescheduled date, refunds will only be issued if you notify us of your cancellation prior to the trip.
- If your plans change and you can't attend the September 15 date, you must notify us at least 48 hours in advance to qualify for a refund, and to make room for others on the waiting list.
- Last minute cancellations and no-shows will not be issued a refund.
Email or call (207) 607-4357.
September is a great time to find a huge variety of mushrooms and fungi throughout the woods. Join MCHT steward Kirk Gentalen for a fascinating, free walk in the woods. Party of the Great Maine Outdoor Weekend.Learn more
Join the James Beard award-winning chefs from Eventide Oyster Co., Hugo’s, and The Honey Paw for a bountiful feast on your favorite Casco Bay islands, The Goslings—and support coastal conservation while you’re at it!Learn more
We'll clean up the beach and then celebrate with a cookout at one of MCHT's newest preserves! Bring the whole family and celebrate Great Maine Outdoor Weekend.Learn more