Clark Island Open House
Join us for a special island exploration - and you don’t need a boat to get there! 175-acre Clark Island is one of those rare Maine islands connected to the mainland by a short causeway.
Drop by our Open House to experience Clark Island’s exciting potential for exploration and recreation as a public preserve. Take a hike to the abandoned granite piers of a former quarry, explore the rocky shoreline and pocket beaches, or simply join us for a hot dog on the lawn of the Craignair Inn while enjoying the salt breeze and beautiful view of Clark. Learn about this "preserve-in-progress" and our two-year fundraising campaign to purchase the property.
What to Expect:
You’re free to explore the island on your own (maps provided) or join us for an optional guided tour at 11:30, 12:00, or 12:30. The loop trail takes about an hour to complete. It goes over dirt roads and narrow forest paths.
There is no charge for this event, but pre-registration is required.
- All attendees will park at the Hurricane Island Outward Bound School, 113 Marina Road, Spruce Head/St. George. There will be shuttles vans to take you to and from the lawn at the Craignair Inn where we will be gathering. It’s a about a five-minute ride.
- Parking at the inn is reserved for guests of the inn. Please help us honor this.
- If you have concerns about mobility issues, please contact Kaileigh Sweeney, – (207) 607-4357, and we will make arrangements.
MCHT currently has Clark Island under an option to purchase and the effort to raise $4.8 million by March 2020 is underway! The surrounding communities have pitched in their support to help permanently preserve this island gem. If successful, 120 acres of the island will be managed as a preserve – free and open to the public.
What to Bring:
Come prepared to explore the island! It will be low tide for most of the event. Wear your swimsuit and/or wear water shoes to explore the beautiful sandy pocket beaches and tidepools.
Comfortable walking shoes and a backpack to carry your extra items is a good idea if you’ll be walking on the island.
- Appropriate clothing and extra layers (windbreaker, rain jacket, fleece, etc.)
- Hat and sunglasses
- Plenty of water and snacks
- Swimsuit and a towel if you plan to swim
- Watershoes or Teva-style sandals if you’d like to explore the tidepools or wade in the water
- Hiking poles if you use them
- Insect repellent
- Field guide
From Route One in Thomaston: Take Rt. 131 /High Street South from Thomaston center. After 5.3 miles, turn left onto Rt. 73 N/ Seal Harbor Road. After 0.9 miles, turn right onto Clark Island Road. After approximately a half mile, look for parking signs at the entrance to Marina Road on the left.
Contact us at or call (207) 729-7366