Assistant Steward (Mt. Desert Island, 6 months)
Maine Coast Heritage Trust (MCHT) is looking for a stewardship assistant to work with MCHT stewardship staff based in our Mount Desert Island office. The position is for 6 months (from late April to October) (flexible start & end dates). Applicants must be self-motivated individuals able to work independently, and as part of a team. The work will include a variety of different stewardship tasks, with an emphasis on helping the regional steward based out of the MDI office and working on the Blue Hill Peninsula and surrounding islands. The stewardship assistant will also work with other stewardship and trails crew staff on projects throughout Penobscot Bay to Schoodic.
- Preserve monitoring and maintenance, including trail work, boundary marking, field maintenance, and interactions with the public.
- Conservation easement monitoring, under the supervision of regional stewards.
- Miscellaneous carpentry work on kiosks, barn infrastructure and other small structures.
- Invasives management under the direction of regional stewards.
- Participation in and coordination of volunteer beach clean ups and other activities.
- Data entry and record keeping.
Skills and Experience Sought
- Good verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working in the field, alone and with others.
- Ability and desire to perform hard physical work.
- Experience operating and maintaining the following equipment: Chain saw, brush saw and hand tools.
- Experience building and maintaining backcountry trails.
- Good sense of humor when the weather is bad and the bugs are biting.
- Natural history knowledge/interpretation experience.
- Experience working with invasive plants and Maine Board of Pesticide Control certification desirable.
- Good basic seamanship skills and experience operating power boats desirable.
- Valid Driver’s License and use of a vehicle.
The Seasonal Stewardship Assistant will be paid $16/hour on a bi-weekly basis subject to required withholdings. As a short-term employee, you will be entitled to legally required benefits, i.e., Worker’s Compensation and Social Security. Work related travel will be reimbursed at .58 cents per mile.
Send a cover letter indicating which position you are applying for, resume and references by February 21, 2019 to:
Peg Adams at:
Maine Coast Heritage Trust
One Bowdoin Mill Island, Suite 201
Topsham, ME 04086
Maine Coast Heritage Trust IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Last modified: 2019-01-18 16:37:54