This 78-acre island Merchant Row island preserve features stunning coastal scenery for daytime and overnight visitors alike.
Saddleback Island is great for:
Camping – Spend a night at the island’s secluded campsite after watching the sun set over Merchant Row.
Kayaking – Carefully navigate the cold waters off Stonington to reach the small beach on Saddleback’s northern shore.
Hiking – Explore southern sections of the island’s granite shoreline on foot or follow the loop trail that winds west from the campsite for views of Isle au Haut.
How to get there
The nearest public boat launch is located in Stonington. Also called the “Colwell Boat Ramp,” it is located just behind the Isle au Haut Boat Services buildings on Seabreeze Avenue in downtown Stonington. There is no public parking at the boat launch site, but paid parking is available at the Isle au Haut Boat Services. Another place to access Merchant Row is from Old Quarry Ocean Adventures in Stonington.
Is the small cabin open to the public?
There is also a small cabin located on the island’s south side. It is not available for public use, but is seasonally rented to MCHT donors on a limited basis. Contact us for more information.
Notes on topography, flora & fauna
Located on the eastern edge of the archipelago, 78-acre Saddleback Island is MCHT’s largest Merchant Row preserve. The island’s shoreline is made up of smooth granite ledges, a few small sandy beaches, and an inlet accessible only during high tide.
How this place became open to the public
MCHT acquired Saddleback Island in 2004.
This place belongs to all of us. Help us take care of it!
- Camp At Established Campsites Only
- Limit Stay to 2 Nights
- Groups of 6 or More and Commercial Users by Permission Only. Please call 207-729-7366.
- Fires by Permit Only - Maine State Law.
- Contact Maine Forest Service at 207-827-1800 for Permit.
- Keep All fires Below High Tide Line
- Do Not Cut or Break Tree Limbs, Dead or Alive
- Leave No Fire Unattended
- Completely Extinguish All Fires
- Please Respect Privacy of People Using the Cabin
- Foot Traffic Only
- Carry Out All Trash
- Including Human and Pet Waste and Toilet Paper
- Keep Pets Under Control
- Do Not Remove Archaeological Artifacts